Jumbo Bran Muffins
Every once in a while I get these weird cravings for foods that I haven’t entertained since I’ve adopted my real food philosophy, which minimizes my exposure to gut and blood sugar busting grains and flours. Often these cravings are for pseudo-healthy foods that tickle some emotional connection to my youth, which often only come out when things are going really, really well or really, really poorly. Consider this one of those cravings.
Fortunately, the context was positive, which typically means the craving is coming from an honest place and needs to be expressed. And, man, oh man, was this expression delicious.
Note: I’m not a huge proponent of emotional eating, because doing so is often a vehicle for distorting, minimizing, or completely ignoring the negative, painful circumstances surrounding our lives. But, when circumstances are positive and inspire love, joy, and gratitude, and eating is done mindfully and within reason, emotional eat away!
All that being said, here is the recipe for my latest creation – Jumbo Bran Muffins – which are grain-, gluten-, and dairy-free; loaded with healthy fats; and minimally sweet to satisfy that sweet tooth without inspiring an all-bets-off sugar binge. Enjoy!
Jumbo Bran Muffins
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup flax meal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 dates, pitted
- 6 eggs
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 and coat 6-mold jumbo muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix almond flour, flax meal, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a food processor or powerful blender, pulse dates, eggs, coconut oil, and water until well combined.
- Add date, egg, and oil mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Fold in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, and raisins and then spread evenly between 6-molds of your muffin tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.